Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fondant does not have to taste gross

When most folks meet with me about cake, they ask me "What does fondant taste like? I've heard it tastes really gross."

Fondant (pronounced fon-dunt, not fahn-dahnt) can come manufactured or homemade. A few manufactured brands (namely the big W) do taste, well, like old gum. Though, it makes a cake so beautiful! But who wants to pay for something people will just peel off their cake? Dessert should not be so much work!
But there are several brands that taste wonderful (think tootsie rolls or a white chocolate roll-up). When I started making cakes, I used the Big W, and added some flavoring to it to offset the "chemical" taste. Then, I found other brands to try, and worked with them for a bit. Better...
They tasted much better. But still, not quite right.
Then I discovered:
Making my own fondant.
There are a few recipes out there, with some variations. With additions like extracts and flavorings, the variations on fondant flavors are endless. And almost nobody peels it off their cake now. Pretty and edible! Now, that's good fondant.
And a beautiful cake.

No comments: