Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Food (cake) for thought


Now that the Cape Fear "busy wedding season" is over, I've a little time to breathe on the weekends. And see my family.
Reviewing this past year so far, I find that I have provided cakes for over 60 weddings and countless birthdays and anniversaries. That is, by my estimation, about 1000 hours of baking and decorating. That does not include consultations, emails, phone calls, shopping, or delivering the cakes (that would add another 300 to 400 hours).
It's a joyous and fun profession mostly, although sometimes I wonder why I didn't become a brain surgeon instead. The stress of any wedding-related profession is always forgotten until we're actually in the thick of working. I understand how important a cake is to most couples for their wedding, as it is commemorated in photographs, scrutinized in person, and tasted by hopefully satisified guests as well.
I've had a wedding myself; I know that some wedding traditions are more important to some than others. Long before I ever heard of cake decorating as a career, my own wedding took place, and folks, my cake was from Walmart. I had to put it together (it came in pieces) and decorate it myself. I used fake ivy! I'd like to think I've come a long way since then. When we came out to cut the cake, I discovered my very well-meaning friend stuck bright red heart cookies in the top. She still feels badly about it, because I gasped "What is this????". (I don't care...I think it's funny, but years later, I still play the guilt card...bad Karen!)

A few closing thoughts...

Good cake ain't cheap; cheap cake ain't good.

It's not a (choose a dollar amount) cake...it's a beautiful and delicious DESSERT for (choose a guestcount) people.

Never trust a skinny baker (though I would like to shatter that myth..and be skinny).

No comments: